Healthy Banana Smash Cake




I'm so excited about the way this smash cake turned out for my baby's 1st birthday! I wanted to make something healthy that wasn't going to give her a sugar rush and then crash.

Nevermind that I've never made a cake by scratch before.. but this was actually pretty easy and everyone liked it! (or at least they said they did!)

I am totally going to make it again just as a healthy cake for myself sometime! I am thinking a not-so-terrible cheat during figure competition prep? I mean oats and bananas are my staple figure prep carbs anyway!

What you need:
5 ripe bananas
1&1/2 cup oat flour (I use my ninja blender to grind up oats into a flour but if you don't have a processor or blender that would do this you might be able to find oat flour or maybe go with coconut flour? vs white flour)
1/2 cup natural unsweetened apple sauce (Mimi's homemade is even better!)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
coconut oil spray

How you do:
Smash the bananas completely in a large bowl
Add all other ingredients to bananas
Mix together
Coat 2- 8 inch pans with coconut oil spray
Fill pans with mix
Bake in oven at 375 for 15-20min
Check cakes in center with toothpick for done-ness
Let cool before icing






If you want to do different layers like I did,
make 2 more cakes the same as before but add 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder to the mix
Mix and bake the same way as before
The above amount makes 2 cakes
I did 2 regular layers and 2 cocoa layers

















For the icing, what you need:
3- 8oz packets of neufchatel cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
food coloring if you wish or for pink icing you can use beet juice!
Mix all icing ingredients in a mixing bowl and mixer until light and fluffy. 


Let cakes cool before icing!



I layered the icing on nice and thick. I love icing! And I was hoping Israella was planning on sharing her cake with mommy and anyone else that wanted to try it! 



Here is the cake in my cake display. We got this as a wedding present 7 years ago and this might be the first time I used it! 
Do you think I went a little crazy on the cupcakes?
They were not as healthy as the smash cake, but still, they were pretty scrumptious!



 A Ferris wheel cupcake holder? Too cute! My mother's neighbor gave this to her to use for all the grandkids parties!  Israella and I will make sure it gets some good use!



Nothing like last minute... as we strung up the "Happy Birthday Israella" banner and snowflakes (it was a Winter ONEderland party). We were hanging them at 1:45pm. Guests were about to start arriving and I had yet to change or put my makeup on. That's just the story of life, right? I can't say it's a mom thing, cuz I had procrastination and time problems before I became a mom! They say it's hereditary?



Once you have the cake all icing-ed up.. .don't forget to add a little something to spice it up for decoration! 



I had make white chocolate snowflakes that didn't turn out as pretty as I would have liked so I didn't use any on the cake but a few made their way on some cupcakes. For the smash cake I just did a little white icing around the edges and threw on some mini snowflake sprinkles. Literally, I found that throwing them on the side was the easiest way to get them there! 








If you're planning on doing a Winter ONEderland theme for your babe... don't forget to start looking around early for decorations. I am glad I grabbed some things I found at Target when I did because come February you aren't going to find too many snowflakes! 

I hope you try this smash cake! If not for a 1st birthday, try it for yourself as a healthy treat or a healthier birthday cake! 

Let me know what you think! 



 You think I'd end without sharing a pic of the cutie with her cake?! No way!
She didn't really know what to do with it. Mommy was all prepared with plastic on the floor but Israella didn't dig in as much as expected! She was pretty tired from not napping all day.
She tasted the cake and enjoyed it but I did expect her to make a big mess of it!
Not that I am complaining!




And one last picture before you go. I have to share this one because it makes me laugh. Silly unicorn girl! She was putting her birthday hat on and off and thought it was pretty funny when she got it to stay here!











For more healthy recipes or support on your fitness journey, fill out this app for a spot in my upcoming online health and fitness support group! 
Use Wufoo templates to make your own HTML forms.

Comments